End of Year Rollover for KnowledgeNET Users (WITH WebSYNC Interoperability)
At the end of the school year, you will be updating your School Management System (SMS) with the new users and classes for next year. This will inevitably cause disruption in KnowledgeNET as it tries to keep in step with the changes. The process should happen smoothly, but there may need to be actions for you to carry out in order to tidy up old classes and logins.
Prevent deletion of disabled logins
When the old users are removed from your SMS, their logins will be disabled in KnowledgeNET. There is a mechanism that will delete these users after a set number of days.
Please ensure that the threshold for (auto) deletion of old users is set to 0 (zero). This will prevent them being deleted. You can set this threshold later once you are sure you no longer need the logins (and all their files and pages)
- Please go to Tools -> Administration
- Please go to Administration -> SMS Connection -> SMS Data Config and enter 0 in the highlighted field below.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Some common issues are listed below with instructions on how to deal with them.
I don’t want the parents/students to see their new classes until they are correct in the Student Management System (SMS). How do I stop them getting uploaded?
The best way is to disable automatic uploads from your SMS.
However if you are unsure about this, or you cannot guarantee that someone else will trigger a manual upload, then you need to disable interoperability in KnowledgeNET:
- Please go to Administration -> SMS Connection -> SMS Data Config and set SMS LMS Interoperability to disabled as shown below:
I want to keep my old classes from last year.
Many SMSs will create a new set of classes every year, even if nothing has otherwise changed. We can’t prevent this. However, it’s quite possible to link up your old classes and then delete the new ones. All you need to do is to swap the external IDs.
- These instructions are to be done after the new classes arrive at the beginning of the year. You only need to do this for classes that contain any pages or resources that you want to preserve and use again.
- Go to Administration -> Group Options -> Groups and identify the new and old classes. The old classes will have zero members (or a small number) and the new classes will have all the students attached.
- Edit the new class. Copy down the external ID, and then change it to something else. You could add ‘new’ on the end, perhaps.
- Edit the old class. Copy down the external ID there, and then set it to the ID that the new class had.
- Edit the new class and set the external ID to the ID that the old class had.
- Once you have done this for all classes that you want to keep, export a full batch from your student management system (SMS). This will now link all the students to the old classes and remove them from the new ones. You can now delete these classes (see the section “I want to delete the old classes”
I want to delete the old classes or hide them somehow in case I need them (or something in them)
You can delete multiple classes using Tools -> Administration -> Misc Admin -> Rollover -> Delete and Archive Groups. It’s also possible to archive old classes. This takes them out of the menus and the administration area, but leaves them available through School Zone -> Archive Area. You can visit this area and copy pages and files from there. You can also, at a later date, restore the classes in order to use them fully again.
- Please go to Tools -> Administration -> Misc Admin -> Rollover -> Delete and Archive Groups
- Prior to starting this process, please ensure that there are no tasks currently in the queue as indicated by the arrow below. This prevents confusion if the latest batch is still processing and classes are still being created or updated.
- Carefully select from the list provided the classes you wish to archive or delete. Then use the "submit" button at the bottom of the menu to action these for processing. The classes can be grouped by various means in order to quickly identify and select the ones that you are after. Use the Sort and Select All buttons to do this.
- If you archive a class, you can restore it later by visiting the same page. The Archive option will then be listed as Unarchive for that class, and you can select this option to restore the class to normal use.
Why has a certain parent got two logins, one for each child?
Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about this. Certain Student Management Systems send different IDs for the same person, and we have no means to link them up within KnowledgeNET. You should take this up with your SMS vendor.
Why has this teacher / student got a new login?
For various reasons, the Student Management System (SMS) will generate a new ID for a person. This can especially happen if you have just changed your SMS since the new SMS has no means of telling what the old ID was. When the data arrives at KnowledgeNET, it also has no means to identify a match, and thus creates a new login. However, you can relink the users in a very similar way to relinking classes as described earlier. You just need to swap the external IDs.
- Go to Administration -> User Options -> Users and identify the new and old logins.
- Edit the new login. Copy down the external ID, and then change it to something else. You could add ‘new’ on the end, perhaps.
- Edit the old login. Copy down the external ID there, and then set it to the ID that the new login had.
- Edit the new login and set the external ID to the ID that the old login had.
- Once you have done this, export a full batch from your student management system (SMS). This will now link the old login up to their classes.
- You can now delete the new login.
I want to delete old notices, calendar entries etc.
- Please go to Tools -> Administration -> Misc Admin -> Roll Over -> Delete Old Data as per below.
I want everyone to see the school calendar / notice board etc in their home area
- Go to Tools -> Administration -> Misc Admin -> Mass Manage Calendars/Noticeboards by selecting your desired noticeboards and calendars and clicking